Friday 10 September 2010

When Dreams Blend With Reality

You know those dreams that feel so real, you wake up thinking they happened? Even when you know they didn't really happen and that you were only dreaming, they've still manage to get hold your your emotions and can determine how the rest of your days go. In a discussion with a friend of mine the other day, she was telling me she woke up very cross with her girlfriend, 'cause in her dream she had been cheating on her (or maybe they broke up, I don't remember the specifics on this one).


These dreams can take you by the throat and halt your breathing, or make you anxious. They can stun you into a daze, where you are completely and utterly confused. And they can jolt you into consciousness with tears or fear embedded. Sometimes you may not even remember what it was you dreamed about or think perhaps you didn't have a dream at all, yet somehow you still awaken somewhat shaken.

Recently I had a dream that my father was trying to kill me and chasing me around the area we live in with this metal rod type weapon. The only way to save myself was to  kill him. I was terrified and didn't want to hurt him, but I had no choice; he'd gone mad. So I found my own metal rod thing and stabbed him in the chest with it. I woke up in tears. The next time I went to my parents house I told him all about it and he laughed at me and told me to give him a cuddle. He said this old saying in Greek, which pretty much translates to 'stupid dreams come to stupid people'. I felt a lot better at this point. When I walked into the house I just felt guilty. Guilt that I killed my own dad in cold blood... Now obviously I know that that was a dream and that he is still here and he is able to hug me... but it changes nothing. I still felt it.


You know when dreams come back to you, hours later, or sometimes even days? Well, I had one of those moments. The other day I was acting all strange and dopey when I woke up, more so than usual. My eyes were leaking but I didn't feel like I had a reason to cry, I was quiet and had trouble focusing and just generally not ok. I just thought I was still tired or something. Maybe I was exhausted after a night of dreams and no real sleep.

Isn't it strange how if you go to bed and dream all night you wake up completely worn out? It's like the recuperative nap was a complete waste of time.

As my dream from the other night came back to me, I realised why I must have been acting so bizarre. It was that guilt again. Not the same as the killing-my-father-in-cold-blood kinda guilt, but a guilt nonetheless. Guilt for something that didn't even happen.

Who else has the same sort of strong connection to their dreams? I'd love to know some of your stories of how your dream affected your mornings, or even your whole day!
Why do you think we can be made to feel so many things by something we know to be separate from our reality? Sometimes, dreams are so realistic, you find yourself confusing them with memories. Ticking things off a to-do list you never did and catching up with friends you never phoned. Have you ever continued a conversation you'd been thinking about all day, only to discover the conversation never happened and the person has no idea what you are talking about?

Imagine the consequences of particular dreams that are so realistic they blend into your reality so completely, it has you fooled for a substantial period of time. Imagine a scenario where you relived a real time event, but played it out a little different. Maybe you had an argument with someone the other day and you were still very cross about it, but in your dream instead of walking away you got into a physical fight. Or the person you were arguing with attacked a love one in your dream world... what do you think the chances of you wanting to deck the person next time you see them, either because you think they got aggressive, or because you were simply overcome by an unexplainable urge and strong emotions egging you on?

Share you thoughts =] I always love hearing back from you lot!

3 comments:

  1. Yo Pennie. It's Becca from Japan ;P
    Sus always gets mad at me, because she always dreams I'm cheating on her. XD And she will be mad at me all day.
    Sus cries in her sleep too, and whimpers and stuff when she's having bad dreams. Then she'll be upset for ages. Sorry for embarassing you Sus!
    When I was at high school, I had a weird dream that I was in love with some random person from my high school. And I sorta felt awkward around them after for like a week. It was really weird that I felt those feelings so strongly in a dream, it made me look at that person differently.
    And I often have lucid dreams, so I can tell I'm dreaming and I'm trying to wake myself up from nightmares. And sometimes when I'm half asleep and in my sorta-dream I fall over, it feels like I really did fall over as I wake up.
    Anyway, those are my stories. I liked your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamed of pinching my girlfriend pretty violently then woke up and apologized cause it seemed so real. It never happened but felt so guilty I had to double check her for marks cause I thought she was lying. She claims she would have punched me in the face and rightfully deserved. Still what an awkward feeling it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a terrible dream back a couple of years back, Keep in mind I've never uttered a single word of this dream until now I can feel my heartrate elevating right now. But besides that the dream was of my creepy 5th period science teacher, We'll call him 'David'. Well knowing that all the school technically had my address and that my teachers could access that must've tugged at some strings causing fear in my sub-concious. So in the dream he'd shown up at my house and had restrained me [trigger warning really quick] and he mercilessly raped me. I woke up in a sobbing mess not able to tell where the lines of reality were it took me several years to get past this dream but it doesn't help that he was fired two years later [Idk the reason] and that brought the memories of this terrible dream back. Thats all I can remember this was 4-5 years ago so its a bit blurry now because I've repressed it for so long

    ReplyDelete